Saturday 22 January 2022

Offline, but not that much.

Another start of the month, and a mini-balance sheet pops into my head. What was accomplished the previous month, what goals I was able to achieve... well. I have many things on my mind, many paths to follow, but I need to organize my ideas. And I've assessed that one of the negatives preventing me from achieving the results I want would be the overabundance of information I consume daily on the internet. I end up getting too much inspiration a day and not being able to put anything into action. There are probably many more people who spend more time on the internet than I do and manage to make peace with everything in their lives. I'm not in control, I feel like the time I spend on it takes some (a lot) of my energy away.

And then I came across (online, by the way) an article by a writer who challenged himself to go ONE YEAR without using the Internet, precisely because he thought it made him unproductive. In his words, "I thought it was missing the point there. I thought it was 'corrupting my soul.'" In the end, contrary to his assumptions, it's not the Internet that's to blame, but something deeper from within. Read the article here.

Well, I was going to do something similar as a writer (not a year, eh...lol), but after reading the article, I decided to adapt. First, I'm going to do a virtual detox. Next week, I'm really going to go offline to put things in their proper place. I will only have access to my institute email because it can't interfere with my work. The other week I'll be on vacation, so I'll have more time during the day to organize myself, and I'll only go in twice a week to update my blogs and organize my clouds.

In the third week, I evaluate the results of the previous weeks and, as appropriate, increase the number of sessions to three times a week with an agreed upon time limit. Over time, if I manage to use the internet productively, perhaps I'll go back to using it every day, but with constant time control.

Either way, the blog will not be abandoned, rather the opposite. I think this "challenge" will be of great benefit. I will be able to devote myself to creating posts and only use the internet while posting them, on occasion, which I will also use to respond to comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resolutions flowing!

I am in full tilt with my new year's resolution!!!! The itch for RENEWAL is in my body and my mind. And the blog here is the first to ...